Friday, January 26, 2007

Vegan Spinach & Mushroom Lasagna

Today's lunch features one of my favorite things to make, and that's lasagna. I like making it because it is SO easy, and you end up with a ton of food that you can refrigerate and eat on for a couple of days. And I'm all for anything that makes eating delicious homemade vegan food easier and allows me to eat it more often. I remember back when I used to make lasagna as an omnivore. Gosh that was some unhealthy stuff. Just thinking about all that meat in there, and all of that cheese, and all of that fat. It's really not very appetizing. But THIS lasagna is! And it is very, very low-fat. It's my most favorite lasagna recipe. In fact, I think this is about my 6th time making it since I first discovered it online. It is so delicious, and it's even gotten good reviews from meat-eaters that I have fed it to.

So ladies & gentlemen, feast your eyes upon Vegan Spinach & Mushroom Lasagna. I found the recipe over at SusanV's Fatfree Vegan Kitchen sometime last year and have been turning out batch after batch of this stuff ever since. The recipe is easy enough as it is, but I normally simplify it even further by just using canned mushrooms. You don't even have to cook the lasagna noodles, you just lay them in there dry and they cook perfectly with everything else in the oven! The only real mess that you have to make is to create the tofu spinach ricotta in the food processor. And talk about tasty, this stuff is awesome. In fact, last night after I made the lasagna, I was using my finger to lick the food processor bowl clean before I put it in the sink and I just couldn't believe how delicious and cheesy that stuff tasted. In fact, I plan on trying it on pasta at some point in the very near future by itself. I might have to thin it out a little bit with some soymilk, but I think this stuff would be delicious as a sauce on pasta. It would be kinda' like a mix between an Alfredo sauce and a pesto, except it would be basically fat-free (except for whatever fat is in the tofu). This would be awesome because I would eat pesto every day if I could, but I don't want to eat that much fat everyday. Modifying the tofu spinach ricotta into a pasta sauce is on my list of things to do, SOON! If you beat me to it, or have already done it, I would love to know how it turns out.

I made a quick salad using some of the organic baby greens that were on sale at the grocery store this week and filled my dressing container with some more Brianna's Poppy Seed Dressing.

Then I toasted up a few pieces of garlic toast and brought along my little container with some Galaxy Vegan Parmesan, just in case. There's already some on the top of the lasagna, but you never know when the urge might hit to really cheese things up.

I really like the way that the whole pasta, salad & garlic toast thing fits into the lunchbox. As you can see from several of my previous posts, it looks like this is going to become a common theme.

Well, I guess that just about does it for another week of grown-up vegan lunches. Thanks for checking in on my blog this week and I'll see everybody next week.

It's time to go heat my lunch up! Have a great weekend!ORGANIC BABY GREENS SALADVEGAN SPINACH & MUSHROOM LASAGNAGARLIC TOASTPOPPYSEED DRESSINGVEGAN PARMESANFORK & SPOON

7 comments:

NightOwl said...

I've been wanting/meaning to make lasagna for over a month now. I'm going to do it! Especially after seeing how good your lasagna looks!

Susan Voisin said...

Hey Kenny, I raised my daughter on that tofu-spinach filling. When she was a baby, I'd set aside some of the filling every time I made lasagna and feed it to her. It's no wonder that lasagna is still her favorite food. I'm so glad ot hear it's one of your favorites too!

Kris said...

Wow, Ken! I literally was just saying to my husband, "Let's do something with mushrooms, spinach and pasta tonight." DING DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!

Another delicious looking week, indeed. Thanks for the info about Ruby Tuesday. It's always good to know when there is more to eat than the salad bar.

Oh, and I thought of you today when I went to the store and Larabars were on sale, along with their other line, the Mayabars. I stocked up on both. I haven't tried the Mayabars yet, but I love chocolate so it sounds promising.

urban vegan said...

Lasagna is my go-to meal when I am eeding skeptical omnis. Isa C.. Moskowitz's tofu-basil ricotta rom Vegan with a Vengeance is a great filler.

Anonymous said...

Yay, you're back!!!! (I just noticed today)

I kept checking back in hopes that one day you would return and you did!

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I just noticed you're back too! I'd given up!

kennyboy said...

Yep. I'm back.

:o)