Sunday, March 18, 2007

Morningstar Egg Facts

I thought I would take a little bit of time this weekend for a little cyber activism and do a quick post about an issue that I think is important, and something that we could all really make a difference in. You may already be aware of this campaign, but just in case you're not, I wanted to help spread this information to as many people as possible. If you're a vegan, and you went through the stage of being a vegetarian before you became vegan, then you might have been like me and practically LIVED on Morningstar Farms® products. Boy, do I miss those Grillers Prime Burgers. I was very discouraged when I became vegan because I could no longer consume their products due to that devlish "contains less than 2% of the following: egg whites, blah, blah, blah." I just never understood how that tiny amount of egg could make a huge difference in the product. It was obviously possible to make similar products without the eggs, several other comapnies do, and I, of course, transitioned over to eating their products.

But now, Compassion Over Killing and Vegan Outreach are teaming up with compassionate people everywhere to ask Morningstar Farms® to stop using eggs in its product line.

Morningstar Farms®, which is owned by the Kellogg® company, was approached in September 2005 about its use of eggs in its products, all of which come from hens confined inside barren wire battery cages. Battery caged hens are typically provided with a meager 67 square inches of space in which to live—that’s less than the size of one sheet of notebook paper. These birds are so intensively confined for their entire lives that they are denied their natural inclinations to spread their wings, perch, preen, or even walk.

Morningstar Farms® has long been a leader in supplying delicious vegetarian foods to a growing market. Let them know that the market also wants them to remove their support from the cruel battery egg industry and encourage them to join with companies like Gardenburger®, which last year announced it has taken eggs out of all its products except for one private-sourced item.

Please contact Morningstar Farms® and politely request that they remove eggs from their products. Let them know one of their biggest competitors, Gardenburger®, has already made this decision for all but one of its products.

All of the information needed to contact them via a variety of methods is available at the campaign's website:

MORNINGSTAR-EGG-FACTS.COM

I just wanted to share this information in case some of you might not be aware of this campaign. I will be contacting Morningstar Farms® to tell them my story, and how I wish I could still enjoy their products, and I urge all other people concerned with the plight of battery hens to do the same.

Thank you so much! Our efforts can not only help us to increase the number of vegan food options available to us, but also help free many hens from horrible lives in battery cages.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Before I went vegan and was a lacto/ovo I did indeed live on Grillers! I could eat a box in a sitting. So yes, I did miss after going vegan 9 years ago. But just last year my local Trader Joe's started selling "Grillers VEGAN". Yes, vegan. No egg! Check your local Trader Joe's, if you have one, or just scan the morningstar boxes more carefully in your grocery store's frozen section, perhaps they have them and you just did not know. I had no idea myself until they appeared at TJ's.

ninjackie said...

I've seen those, yeah. They are just the original Morning Star burger patty, and nowhere near as good as the actual griller. I, too, had been wishing for a long time that they would just remove the egg from this product. I even wrote Kellogg about it once. The response I got was something to the effect of "We don't take product suggestions from consumers." Oh well.

kennyboy said...

Yeah, I think I tried them once and didn't care for them. I didn't even like the original Griller (which isn't even vegan) when I was vegetarian. It HAD to be the Grillers Prime. Those were so good.

Maybe they'll listen to the suggestion if thousands of people e-mail them. And the fact that Gardenburger just did it, and will be receiving lots of new business from people like me, might also help encourage them.

I would really like to be able to eat their chik'n patties again too. Seems like, around here, their products are just so much more available than the Boca ones. I go out of my way though, and drive extra miles, just to purchase the Boca ones since they are vegan.

Until then, I guess I'll just keep experimenting and trying to perfect my own homemade veggie burger. If they won't make vegan Grillers Prime, maybe I can. I've been working on new homemade veggie burger recipes some this weekend and can't wait to share the results with everybody in tomorrow's lunch!

:o)

bazu said...

Thanks for this info.- I will write a letter and spread the word. It would be great if they quit using eggs.