Thursday, March 30, 2006

Chik'n & Tempeh Sausage Jambalaya

Okay, today's lunch may not photograph the best, but it is definitely tasty. I made Chik'n & Tempeh Sausage Jambalaya by first cooking up a packet of Jambalaya mix that I found at the grocery store. It's basically just a packet of rice and various spices. You just mix it with water and boil it on the stove. I did, however, read the ingredient list, which was short, to make sure that there wasn't any dehydrated chicken broth or beef stock or anything like that in it. After the mix was all cooked up, I tossed in a bag of Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik'n Strips (they are one of the few things that Morningstar Farms has that IS vegan) and a bunch of the Tempeh Sausage Crumbles from Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. The Tempeh Sausage Crumbles are so yummy. They taste just like sausage and I always keep some made up and stored in the freezer to use in dishes like this and on pizza.

I threw in some more VwaV Herbed Roasted Potatoes in the green container. I just can't get enough of these things. I love potatoes anyway, and these are really good. They are another thing I like to keep made up and stored in the fridge because they reheat so well.

Some steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots) and some grapes help balance out the lunch and make it, at least, a little bit healthy. Seems like a lot of people think that being a vegan means that you automatically eat really healthy, and therefore really boring, meals. HA! Well, it is, of course, healthier than eating fat and cholesterol-laden animal flesh and animal products, but you can still be very naughty when eating vegan. I mean, HEY! Fritos are vegan. Who knew?

Well, that's lunch for Thursday. Thanks to everybody who checks in to see what I am up to. I hope someone, somewhere, finds some inspiration in all of this. And if you are on the fence, thinking about ordering one of these cool lunchboxes, go ahead and do it. They are an excellent investment and you will not regret it. Seeing it for the first time on Vegan Lunch Box is what got me all fired up about it and it definitely DOES help me eat lunch a whole lot better and a whole lot cheaper. Have a great day and I'll see you right back here tomorrow!

No comments: