Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Vegan Chili

Today for lunch, I've got some vegan chili that I made by cooking a chopped onion in a skillet on medium heat for about ten minutes, until translucent, and then dumping in a can of kidney beans, a can of hot chili beans and a can of diced tomatoes. I then added two packs, yes two packs (I like a lot of flavor in them) of storebought chili mix (the powdered stuff that comes in a little envelope). I just double-checked the ingredients on the chili mix to make sure they hadn't snuck in any beef fat, whey or other animal products. It was clean.

Up top are two of my favorite recipes from my favorite cookbook, Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I realize that I have mentioned this cookbook every single day, but I will probably continue to do so because, I swear, I have yet to make anything from this book that has not been delicious. That big green container in my lunch today is proof of that, because if you had told me a year ago that I would be eating brussel sprouts and liking them, I would have told you that you were insane. Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Toasted Garlic are YUMMY! I didn't know that brussel sprouts could taste like this. Apparently, roasting the little devils does something magical to them. They are good, and I will be eating a bunch of them for lunch today.

The Herbed Roasted Potatoes are also from VwaV. I make these all the time, because I love potatoes with rosemary, and I almost always have some hanging out in the fridge so they are easy to throw into a lunch whenever I need something else to fill the lunchbox up.

And finally, the little yellow container holds some yummy Chocolate Bomb Pudding Cake. It's super-duper delicious (probably the best chocolate cake that I have ever had) and super-easy to make. I mean, who knew that you could throw a bunch of stuff together in a cake pan and basically bake a cake which makes it own icing? Of course, it's another recipe from Isa.

Coming up soon, I will be doing my first lunch where I venture out and eat lunch at a restaurant. I will try to document it and give pointers on how I decide what a vegan could possibly eat for lunch at a particular restaurant (hopefully something more than just salad). I will also, of course, include a picture of the food so you can see what I had. I will definitely be eating out next week at a new local Thai place that opened up, but I might also hit a place Friday which is one of my favorites. I will just let that be a surprise. See you tomorrow!

No comments: