Monday, April 03, 2006

Vegan Sushi

Well, there's certainly no shortage of beta-carotene in today's lunch. In an attempt to eat a little healthier, at least for one day, veggies make up most of today's lunch with carrots being present in 3 out 4 items. And now that I think about it, it would have actually been really good to have added them to the 4th item.

The little red box is filled with some vegetable sushi that I just picked up at the grocery store. The place I shop at makes fresh sushi every day. I've bought it before and it's good, if you like sushi. I keep meaning to try making my own someday, but that's one of those things that's on "that list", you know. The sushi just has carrots, cucumber, avocado, seaweed, sticky rice, sesame seeds and stuff like that in it.

The green box is filled with some steamed broccoli, carrots, snow peas and water chestnuts. I really do like eating just plain old steamed vegetables. I need to try and include them in the lunchbox more. These actually came from one of those new bags that they are advertising the whiz out of on TV, where you just throw the whole bag and all into the microwave and nuke it on HIGH for 5 minutes. It's handy, although it's not that much trouble to just dump frozen or fresh veggies in some Corningware and sprinkle a little bit of water on it and microwave it.

I bought a huge bag of peeled baby carrots at the store last week, so I started getting rid of them today by packing several in my lunch. I love these things. I thought about shredding them and making some kind of salad with raisins and walnuts in it, but I opted for just throwing the little guys in there raw. Maybe I will try some kind of salad another day.

For dessert I packed some of The Best Pumpkin Muffins from page 52 of Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I took her up on the option of adding a cup of chopped walnuts to the recipe. And as usual, she was correct... they are GREAT!

Well, I guess that just about does it for Monday. If you didn't check in over the weekend, just scroll on down for a posting about a wonderful vegan Sunday Brunch that I enjoyed yesterday over in Asheville, NC. Have a great Monday and the lunchbox and I will see you tomorrow!

No comments: