Tuesday, April 04, 2006

VwaV Veggie Burger & Fries

Well, I'm back to vegan junk food today, although it's really not that bad if you think about it. I guess the worst thing is just all the starchy potatoes. The layout is similar to the other day when I had that Chik'n Sandwich, but the yummy thing sitting there on the bun today is a homemade veggie burger made using the recipe from (all together now) Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I removed the top bun again so you can get a good look at the burger. I mean, look at that thing (clicking on the photos shows you the large version). Doesn't that look just like a hamburger made out of meat? Of course, it doesn't taste anything like the dead animal kind of burger, it's better. It's a TVP (textured vegetable protein) based recipe, so it's full of protein and low on fat. A whole wheat bun helps out a little on the "healthy factor" also. This was my third batch of VwaV Veggie Burgers. They are definitely my favorite veggie burger now.

I thought about piling the burger up with some vegan soy cheese, lettuce, tomato and the works. I really prefer just pickles and Vegenaise right now though. It's a kick I seem to have gotten on from the Chik'n Sandwiches. I am sure the burgers would be delicious though no matter how you dress them up.

I popped some Ore-Ida French Fries in the toaster oven for a side to go along with my burger. I prefer them baked instead of deep-fried. Of course they are healthier, and I just think they taste better when you bake them.

I had some steamed veggies left over in the fridge, so I put them in here today to get rid of them while they are still good, along with a handful of grapes. I bought a huge bag of grapes at the store last week (they were on sale) and I have been diligently working my way through them at home, as well as in my lunches. I probably eat more grapes than any other type of fruit. Once these are all gone, I intend to really try and increase the different types of fruit I eat. When I was an omnivore, I basically NEVER ate fruit. So while I am eating more fruit now than I used to, it is definitely something that I am still working on and need to improve.

That's it for Tuesday. Not too complicated. If you make the veggie burgers, plan on feeding several people, eating them for a few days or freezing some because the recipe makes enough for several burgers, depending on how large you make them. Thanks for checking in to see what's going on today. Have a great day and I'll see you on Wednesday.

6 comments:

karen said...

I haven't commented in a few days- Those burgers look so good. I'll have to try to make them.

I just made The stewed tofu and potatoes in miso gravy from VwaV for dinner tonight. It was so good! It's easy to be obsessed with that cookbook. I practically snuggle it at night! :)

kennyboy said...

I would snuggle mine, but it is too nasty. There is food splattered all over the pages. Hahahahaha

Anonymous said...

they really look so yummy, i must try to buy the book,
thanks for this beautifull blog.

karen said...

My book would be nasty, but I have one of those clear plastic cookbook stands that doubles as a splatter shield. It must be the virgo in me!

Anonymous said...

Looks really good! I suppose you warm it up at work in the microwave? (i've never eaten french fries warmed up ... sounds not so good?)

kennyboy said...

Yeah, I nuke the burger to warm it up.

Usually I will just try and remember to take the fries out of the lunchbox a little while before lunch so they can at least come to room temperature, I usually don't warm them up. Sometimes I do, but they do get a little flimsy on you. It helps a little to make sure they are uncovered when you reheat them, but they still are kinda limp.

Maybe that would be an excuse to get a toaster oven at work.